Friday, August 11, 2006

Aces and Eights

Today, with my mother and father I went for dinner at my god-mother's home in Chelsea - although I have barely seen the lady in 20 odd years she is still technically my god-mother.

Nonetheless, after dinner we smoked cuban cigars and we played poker.

And my dad whooped mine and everybody elses fucking asses.

I did not get ONE single decent hand and he went on to ace nearly every single hand winning every chip on the table.

Still, dinner at a plush flat in a fantastic part of town was a splendid way to spend an evening. There is a lot of backstory to many people there and what led us there tonight, and a lot of interesting points that I cannot be arsed to explain - which is a shame.

But in short, money/success is fleeting and for those to whom it comes with no real effort can find themselves unstuck very easily.

Anyway, I consider life to be a game of poker, we have the hand we are dealt and from that we have to play. I wonder how different things would be for me if I was to be given a different hand?

Would I be better or worse? Would I be more successful or less? Would I be a nicer or nastier person?

The truth is, I don't know. And any pondering over this is fruitless - I have what I have and that is what I have to play with.

Lucky for me that I have my father's charm and my mother's good looks.

In other news, showreel blah blah blah. Sending it out. Not sending it out. Making calls. Not making calls.

I still do not have a job and I have no apparent leads over getting one soon either. I just need to keep on doing what I am doing.

Just do it more.

x

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You'll be exactly the same.

Just depressed and boring.

So no, not really the same...

You probably won't have ever discovered your love for movies.

Yes.

Everything will be different.

xox

8/13/2006 1:50 am  
Blogger london cokehead said...

I with you on the sending stuff out bit.It used to cost me a small fortune in postage, but now I have a Streamload.com accout and all I send are links in email. Total godsend, but it may be a little difficult for video.

By the way, have you seen "Why we fight"?

Superb docu-film thing!

Later tater!

8/13/2006 1:11 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home