Saturday, April 08, 2006

Postive News of Sorts

It seems to be confirmed (but I don't believe anything until I turn up on the day and it actually happens.) but I'll be shooting another freebie music video in two weekends time.

This is good and bad - but I'll concentrate on the good aspects.

It is a good opportunity for me to direct a good solid performance based video. In the words of the artist, he wants it to "look good and be edited nice."

I suppose you'd have had to be there to appreciate the comedy of that statement. But anyway, I would like to put into practice all I have learned and shoot a fucking ace video.

Basically what happens is that I'll direct something - learn from what goes well and what does not go well - And then go away and theorise, and think, and do stuff, and watch TV, and talk, and watch unrelated stuff on TV (like the Apprentice) and I think about my own mistakes and successes and think about other's mistakes and successes. Slowly adapting my own behaviour accordingly.

So now is another chance to do a better job.

The last video I did was fucking shit. And about 50% of that was my fault. Maybe more. This is predominantly because it was the first performance video I ever did. (and it is a totally different discipline to making short movies)

Basically what I need to do is lead from the front. Get in there, tell people what I want, see what works and then do it. It is crucial that I get the video I WANT. I must achieve this my communicating my ideas clearly and confidently to the neccessary people.

Crucially, it is important to recognise what is working and what is not working - and then FIX it.

Between now and then I want to meet up with a couple of other directors I know I pick their brains about how they direct music videos. As I said above, it is a new thing for me. I know what I'm doing with short films (I've been making them since I was 14 - and it just clicks with me) but music video is what I need to work on. 'shooting the shit' out of the idea is one technique I could use but I want more.

Much more.

Peace and Love

Doom/Blondie

xx

ps. I need to get my hair cut and re-coloured again so at least I look like I know what I'm doing.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh wow, good news.. Hope its 'true', but we know it is :) Keep us informed.

X

4/09/2006 2:25 am  
Blogger Smartypants said...

That's good news. = )

And, of course, we love pictures of your blond hair. hint, hint

4/10/2006 1:17 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home