Friday, April 07, 2006

I type this as a Render

(For those unaccustomed to video editing - Rendering is the process when your computer takes your video work and compiles it together so that it can be played back 100% speed with all effects and filters applied. Think of it like making bread - with the editing the kneading of the dough - and the rendering the actual baking.

Significantly, cos of the way the footage was filmed ( a technie issue with the 35mm lens adaptor) either I stand on my head and edit or we flip the image in the edit - because like what 35mm adaptors do, the fucking image was flipped and the movie was recorded upside down. So we flip it in the edit machine but that means the computer has to render every shot before it can be played full speed. Trust me. This is a cunt and it slows everything down.)


Anyway, for a moment I allowed myself to be lulled into a false sense of hope.

For a moment, as I pieced this movie together, there was a moment when I though that it might be quite good. But now I realise that it is shit.

And therefore: I am shit.

I fucking hate editing.

You cut together nice little bits and think,

'ooh - that's nice. that cut works'

And you make a scene and you think,

'that's a nice scene'

And then you watch it all back and it just doesn't fit together. And then you think.

'I am a cunt and this movie sucks a donkey's ass.'


THAT is the joy of editing. But the more I do the harder it gets. Cos you need to look at the movie as a WHOLE. And to do that takes clarity.

Which is hard to find at 3:00am in the cunting night.





Love and cuddles

Doom

5 Comments:

Blogger Doom/Blondie said...

and look at that - the next render is gonna take 2 fucking hours.

it's 3:17am

I'm off to bed.

xx

4/07/2006 2:19 am  
Blogger Kat said...

I know I've never seen your movie and granted, it could be utter crap. But I meet few people who are as passionate about what they do as you seem to be. So one day you'll have to make a really great film and become famous, otherwise my dream that good people get what they deserve will be lost. Have faith!

4/07/2006 8:13 am  
Blogger london cokehead said...

At least you've got a computer to edit on , they used to do it all by hand you know!

Now that would have been a pain in the arse mate..

4/07/2006 12:04 pm  
Blogger Doom/Blondie said...

tis totally true my man...

when I was studying movie making mayhem at uni there was a module on sound editing (I used to be quite a bod at post production sound)

they wanted us to edit a audio documentary on 1/4 inch tape with a bit of pencil and a razor blade - PROPER old skool.

i of course led the revolt against this and I taught nearly quarter of our course how to edit on a PC using Soundscape.

talk about saving time.

But the lecturers were not too pleased with the Renegade Master.

But fuck them.



KAT -- thanks for your faith - I am hubled. But also I suppose I am duty bound to be successful now otherwise I will destroy your dream. I accept your challenge with an almighty roar!

4/07/2006 2:38 pm  
Blogger Bethanie Odd said...

isn't huble a space craft? I feel hubbled too, but usually there is a substance that has helped out in that process.

4/07/2006 5:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home