Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Copyright and shit

I was out in Pacha when I heard this tune come on in the club and then it hit me:

this would be THE PERFECT piece of music to have at the beginning of my film

So I found out what the tune was and now I have managed to secure copyright clearance to use the song.

Well sort of.

The song is published by a big record company who won't issue an 'agreement' (the legal permission with terms and conditions) because there is no money changing hands. Instead I will get a signed letter giving me permission to use the song and blah de blah. I have the permission and this is enough.

So this should be fine. I've used the tune in the rough cut and it works really well.

BUT

If I want to screen the film anywhere that charges an admission fee, or if I want to sell even one copy of the DVD then that causes a problem with royalties. In all probability this shouldn't cause a problem BUT - down the line I cannot afford to set myself up for a disastrous situation.

So.

The perfect house music tune may have to be replaced by some custom made music which will probably be done by a guy I did a music video for last year.

This is an equally good and bad situation and I am not sure what the proper course of action will be yet. There are pluses and minuses on either side of the choice.

4 Comments:

Blogger london cokehead said...

Interesting, I'd just use the tune if it works but I'd be carefull coz if you have no agreement and your film explodes than the record company 'will'just make up stupid terms or ask for stupid money on the spot!!

And there will be 'nothing' you can do about it!!

It's a house tune right, you could always get your mate (if he has the skills) to basically sample the beats from the tune , recycle them (he'll know what I mean) and then recreate the bass and top parts himself, shouldn't be too difficult unless there's a vocal part... A record company won't take you to court over a sampled groove coz it's A. too expensive and B. they'll lose as the great stolen beats legal fiasco rears it's ugly head (James Brown and the 'funky drummer loop'anyone!!). Just an Idea mate..

Happens all the time in the world of advertising..

3/30/2006 10:57 pm  
Blogger Doom/Blondie said...

The label is owned by warner and yes you're right... they'll just get silly if anything happens.

Problem is that the tune IS ALL ABOUT THE VOCALS... so resampling is out of the question.

It's a toughie and I need to give it thought...

3/30/2006 11:03 pm  
Blogger london cokehead said...

Ah ok... Yep, a toughie indeed mate!!

Ummm and warners are great at hedging their bets.

3/31/2006 1:45 am  
Blogger sk8rn said...

How exciting to be at a place in your film to be making such decisions. I always love that time right before things fall into the place where they will remain.

4/01/2006 4:41 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home