Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Munich(2006) - A review

Todal I saw a preview of the new Steven Spielberg film: Munich.

Now, I always work on the belief that the better something is the higher the level of criticism that can be thrown at it is. And here is my 2 pence worth:

TECHNICALLY
Munich is almost perfect. Well at least 75% of the movie is the perfect film. Stylistically it copies the mise-en-scene of films of that era. E.g Telephoto zoom lenses, jump cuts and no steadicam. The film handles a phenomenal amount of information and conveys this excellently. However, the last 25% of the movie is too long and the pacing suffers. (it does have over 200 speaking parts)

STYLISTICALLY
As I said above, the film is lit, coloured, designed and shot like a film from the 1970's. The editing is very well paced and the performances are masterful. Oscar worthy.

CRITICALLY
The biggest failing of the movie is obviously not a technical one. Spielberg has put together such a beautiful film with such rich talent that that is is faultless - the biggest criticism is at the very heart of the movie. On a conceptual level this films fails.

WHY?
For a film thats underlying message is anti-war annd condemns the never-ending cycle of retribuition - it takes a one sided view of the events. This is the fundamental failing. The film follows the Jewish perspective. (no surprise here) and as a consequence the underlying message is undermined.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to this movie but I think I understand what you mean... I find one sided movies (the right side or not) very boring... especially as we all know the story of Munich anyway. Do you think it would have been more interesting from the 'bad' perspective?
PS have u accidentally 'stopped by' yet?

1/25/2006 12:33 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been looking forward to seeing this movie, but like you, I find the one sided nature of such stories to be a bit confining. I honestly don't know what to expect from this movie yet. I suspect my gut reaction will determine how much I like the movie, but, being of jewish origins, I know it will be a challenge to look past that.

1/25/2006 3:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats for being shitty blog of the month.

You've earned it.

1/26/2006 1:35 am  
Blogger Smartypants said...

That's interesting b/c one reviewer in the States said it failed because it tried to be a little too 2-sided. (Show Palestinian side as well.)

I still want to see it. I saw the trailer for it while going to see Syriana & it looked super.

1/27/2006 2:51 am  
Blogger london cokehead said...

I can't wait to see this film , but it's a shame it " follows the Jewish perspective " I was hoping it wouldn't but I guess you can't have everything eh !!

1/28/2006 3:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home