Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Dopamine Suppressant

Life is moving along at a fair whack, a lot of my stuff seems to be going in the right direction and I am happy and challenged and invigorated.

There is, however, a very small yet very important personal target for me to acheive. So once again, I find myself fatigued with the rigmarols of giving up cigarettes. I stopped on Sunday and I have not smoked for 65 hours.

That is almost 3 days.

Those of you that know, will understand that I have become the devil.

And will be for a couple more days.

I must be strong.

It helps when I understand that on a biological level nicotine acts as a trigger to release dopamine, which regulates mood.
In the long run, the dopamine release mechanisim become dependent and eventually supressed by the intake on nicotine.

So, I need for my dopamine neurotransmitters to kick start and stop me being such a fucking arsehole.

Because that is what I have become.

Peace.

But no love.


Doom
xxxx

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

My thoughts are with you. Best of luck, it will be my turn next. I am just gathering the will power to stop. Damn cigs. R

9/22/2005 3:14 am  
Blogger Doom/Blondie said...

Today is day five.

woo hoo.

I am still fighting.

xxx

9/22/2005 4:18 am  
Blogger Smartypants said...

I did my thesis work on cancer so you know how I feel about cigarettes. It's literally like dumping chemical mutagens right into your body. Bad, bad, bad.

I give you a boatload of credit. I have heard how awful it is. Can't imagine going through it.

Must run...Hurricane Rita is going to hit us. I've got a ton more prep work to do b/c we are staying. Honestly, I'm not sure if the roof is going to hold. I'm scared but reading blogs offers me some comfort.

9/22/2005 4:36 pm  
Blogger Doom/Blondie said...

It's not that hard.

all you have to do is stop.

and then tolerate the mood swings and cravings.

It is like a roller coaster!


xx

9/23/2005 1:05 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to smoke 2 packs a day. When I decided to quit, I used the patch. After the second day I felt sick, physically, the worst nausea ever and I was pasty white and not very nice.

I started feeling better by the end of the day and then realized the patch had fallen off. It seemed silly to slap another one on, so I toughed it out the rest of the way. I didn't think I could do it, but I did and so will you. xo.

(six years nic free)

9/23/2005 1:10 am  
Blogger Doom/Blondie said...

For the last 3 years I have smoked on average 7 weeks a year.

I give up approximately once a year and CUBAR CIGARS drive me back every single fucking time. Then I smoke 20 a day for roughly 7 weeks and then once my gums feel rotten and I have no spare money in my pocket I decide to give up.

Cold turkey.

The best way to do it.

Patches still keep a person dependant on nicotine.

(hey - is maggot man still around?)

9/23/2005 1:31 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He was actually in a nasty accident, recently. Totalled his brand new Prius and fucked up his back and gave him PTSS. He'll be alright, but incapacitated for a while.

The worst part is a guy spun out in front of him and stopped traffic, so he got out to see if the guy was okay, but when he went back to his car there wasn't time to get his seatbelt back on before someone plowed him from behind. :|

Still not smoking?

9/24/2005 8:54 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home