Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Test Commercial

My Directing showreel is about 85% complete. The final and biggesrt project is about 7 days away from completion. I spent this afternoon at the compositor's home in West London.

For those of you who don't know technical terms - the compositor is the person who puts the elements of any computer animated footage together. IE. We have a live action foreground and a green screen background with 3d animated elements combined with the foreground.

The animation has been completed by the animator and he rendered it out and gave it to me. I them gave it to the compositor who has to overlay the animated elements to the exact position they need to be. He then needs lock the position of the animated elements to the movement of the camera. (this is quite easy because the movement were straightforwards. Once the animation has been 'tracked' he then has to put in the background over the green screen - this also has to be tracked and locked. The transparency and lighting effects also need to be taken care of here.

To make things tricky we have a reflection in a mirror which also has to be composited - it all seems quite complicated but provided that I stay on top of things in pre-prodution and then in shooting then in post-production it is simply a case of workig through the tasks one by one.

Nonetheless, I saw the rough renders today and I can say that I am shocked at how good it is all coming together. Also I am rather awed by the fact it is coming together exactly how I envisionaged.

This is testimony to the fact that I MUST stick to my guns and make sure I get what I want because I know it IS possible... and I need to believe in myself and what I want. As the director it is my job to have the master plan and vision. I have to believe in that.

A lot of the time creative things happen by accident. But a lot of the time they do not.

Anyway, I need to get together some images for the pack shot at the end of the commercial. But first I need to watch some more of series 4 of 24.

Tomorrow I start going through the CVs for the casting of this short film I am making.

Peace and love my children


xxx

5 Comments:

Blogger london cokehead said...

Just a bit of anal info for you : In Lost episode 24 , at 35:27 .... Just after they've recovered the rudder from the raft if you look top right of the frame there's a ship on the horizon ?

Ummm !

8/24/2005 8:34 pm  
Blogger Doom/Blondie said...

Ship ahoy!

roll on series 2 is all I can say.

i fucking loved lost.

doom

8/24/2005 10:58 pm  
Blogger london cokehead said...

Yeah , just finished watching it mate ... Epic !

Why can't british companies make drama like that ?

I'd be happy paying for my TV licence , instead of feeling ripped off , ( like the time the BBC booked the club for a party , at a cost of £10, 000 and we're the ones paying , ridiculous ) .

8/24/2005 11:05 pm  
Blogger Doom/Blondie said...

British TV drama is a total waste of time... even though our population is 1/4 that of USA our TV drama is 1/20th of their standard.

USA:

Nip tuck, 24, Lost, The Shield, 6 feet Deep, Oz, etc

UK:

the bill, casualty


No fucking competition is it.

When the yanks do TV drama well, they piss on us. And the reason why?

It is because they nuture and respect TV writers. Over here we have this culture that writers are lonely geeks who lock themselves away in broom cupboards - over there they are paid well and respected.

In fact, don;t even get me started with what is wrong in the UK cos I'll rant all night.

Peace

8/24/2005 11:53 pm  
Blogger Smartypants said...

Loved LOST. And...the most beautiful bunch of plane crash survivors I've ever seen.

We have LOST but y'all had SHAMELESS-which we loved. Not exactly a drama but not exactly a comedy either.

8/25/2005 1:41 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home