Tuesday, December 06, 2005

COST Versus COMPRIMISE

Today I had a location recce with the Director of Photography. And today came my first round of comprimises - not a great deal of them but I had to forfeit two camera shots which were integral to a drug montage in this short movie.

It is a shame, but to do the shots we will need to spend money on equipment which we don't have to spend. I say 'we' in the production sense. But the money is coming from my pocket. So actually I cannot afford it.

Anyway, I need to re-storyboard that sequence with something that DOES work.

Surprisingly enough I was presented with a choice that I wasn't even aware I was able to have. And that is the screen ratio.

Either:

1:85.1 (Widescreen)

or even

2:35.1 ( w i d e s c r e e n)

We are shooting on a Sony HD Camera - the Z1. And we are using 35mm lenses. When Sony Designed the Z1 they never even considered being able to put 35mm lenses on the front of it - but some clever bod has figured out a way to do this.

So go figure.

Anyway, I have more storyboards to do.

xxx

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, which screen ratio did you choose?

I'm betting 2.35:1.

This movie is going to be great. I can tell.

12/06/2005 11:36 pm  
Blogger Doom/Blondie said...

mango -

Thanks a lot for your support - and it seems that you're right.... I'm gonna go with 2:35.1 which is gonna be WIDE!!!!

peace and love baby


Doom

12/07/2005 11:52 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home