Saturday, July 23, 2005

Dear God in Heaven...

I almost fucking choked when I heard about the bombing in Naama bay in Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt.

I am not sure why I am so upset, but I am actually upset.

Maybe it is because I can empathise with the victims.

Maybe because it is the third of three places in the world I have visited that has been blown up by fucking terrorists.

In 2001 I stood with my good friend at the top of the World Trade Centre in New York admiring the view and the quiet whilst smoking a marlboro light.

In 2002 I walked with the same friend in Kuta, Bali, Indonisia by the Sari club wearing my cheap £6 Ralph Lauren imitation polo shirt that I bought in a shop nearby.

In 2004 I roamed Naama bay again with the same friend and his brother. Burnt by the sun and with my bleach blonde hair I must have looked like a right idiot. But I was on holiday and I didn't care. The Russian girls seemed to like me.

That last trip was 9 months ago.

Today when I saw the news I amost fucking choked. Because I could see the place in my mind. I could see the people, the bars, the restaurants, the cheap souvinirs. All of it.

All of the above places are not random and faraway places I see on the news and do not really connect with. They are flesh and blood. They are real. I have seen them. I can connect with them.

And I feel such sadness for the world.

But at the same time I fear for how the world will react.

Because I myself have dark skin.

And already I notice people regarding me with suspicion.

And I see people and I hear things.


All I can do is offer you, my dear reader a quote that I hold precious - and that maybe I think can help us:

"When a thought of war comes, oppose it by a stronger thought of peace. A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love." Abdu'l-Baha


And as always, I wish peace and love to you all.

xxx

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home