Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Birthday Din Dins for my 22 year old Princess

Many many years ago my forefathers were kidnapped and enslaved by the English - taken from their native India and shipped via boat to the West Indies/South America where they lived for several generations before my dad was invited back to the mother land where he met my mum.

Anyway - my point is - Spice and flavour is in my roots and culture - and recently because I have had so much free time I have been getting back to something that I love:

Cooking.

No self-respecting man should be unable to cook. This has always been a belief of mine. Cooking is such a valuable skill for a myriad of reasons - It can be deeply personal and private whilst also an extremely sociable thing to do. I learned to cook when I was at university. Out of neccessity.

I LOVE to eat good food - but as a student I could afford to eat out all the time and my mum was not around to feed me. So, for me to eat good food there was only was only one option - for me to learn to cook it myself.

I remember the first time I tried to cook special pilau rice - I fucked it up so badly that it managed to be simultaneously overcooked and undercooked at the same time - but I ate every last fucking mouthful - and it taught me a lesson. Since then, I've never fucked up rice.

Anyway.

Today, for my girlfriend's birthday I cooked her a special dinner of:

Tandoori Chicken pieces
(Marinated overnight to make it extra tender)

Tarka Daal
(Secret ingredient beside the tarka mix - tinned tomatoes and onions)

Spicy Okra
(Secret ingredient - 4 tablespoons of the special curry sauce that I made this afternoon)

Potato and Spinach with Courgette.
(secret ingredient - the special curry sauce that I made this afternoon PLUS brown mustard seeds that you pop first as well as gently fried onions)

Pilau Rice.
(secret ingredient - Turmeric for colour)

And in my humble opinion it is the best meal I have ever cooked - Through my numerous recent attempts I have discovered the 'secret' to Indian cooking.

And if anybody is honestly interested I will happily post an idiots guide to cooking decent curry.


Peace and love.

Doom/Blondie
xx


ps.

she LOVED Minky.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lol.. she liked Minky. Ha ha.

That's awesome that you cooked for her, the food sounds amazing.. I'm dying of jealousy right now.

Hope everythig went well... and tell me honestly, what can you NOT cook???

xox

3/14/2006 2:18 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ps: Have changed blog url,so please update to www.jadedfashionista.com, eventually old url will also point to new adress... But shit is taking ages.

xox

3/14/2006 12:51 pm  
Blogger Doom/Blondie said...

Jamrag - you bet your sorry ass she loves me

Tilda - that is very kind of you, but there are lots of things I cannot cook-- or rather haven't cooked. But I want to gradually reduce that list the older I get. My strategy is to find a few niche styles (Oriental and Indian) and then to try and excel within them.

But I would love to learn how to cook FRENCH food. Then I would be a food guru. Becauee the French LOVE their food.

3/14/2006 2:57 pm  
Blogger Smartypants said...

Of course she loved Minky.

I love it when boys cook.

3/14/2006 7:57 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home