Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Public Speaking

WARNING: SELF OBSESSED POST BELOW.

One of my original desires for this blog was to present an insight to the changes that a boy from South London with humble roots was making to himself in order to create a image of success. Something I think is crucial to actually leading a successful life.

Today I learned a few things when I had to stand up and give a very short introduction to a music video I directed that was premiered today at a bar in London. There were about 30 or 40 people there. A relaxed bunch.

I rarely get bothered by public speaking. Being an attention-seeker, I actually quite LIKE doing public speaking.

It is one of those things I see as tantamount in creating an illusion of success.
When I see others mumbling and stuttering, repeating words or swearing, see that it creates a negative image which is not exactly desirable. And I swear to myself that I must not let myself appear like such a muppet.

The key is to speak clearly, in a manner that is easy-going, yet authoritative. To engage the listener and speak with passion.

Anyway.

Today I realised that I MUST practice doing PAs with a microphone. I can speak and articulate myself quite clearly without one, BUT when talking through a microphone I have a tendancy to drop the 'boom' from my voice in order to try and hear how loud the speakers are making me. (just in case I am too loud)

Unofrtunately, when I do this my voice becomes nasally, and typically South London and then I sound more like cocknet geezer than anything else.

This is not a bad thing, but I think it ruins credibility to an extent. I don't want to sound like a stuck-up cunt by putting on a posh voice, but I find my have a differnet way of speaking depending on the situation and who I am with.

I think I can speak okay without a microphone, but I really need practise with one.

I know it sounds gay, but I think people who can speak well in public gain real advantage by doing so. They appear confident and passionate - and in my choice of career I need to be able to appear that way.

Peace and Love

xxx

4 Comments:

Blogger Bethanie Odd said...

Confidant voices are tricky with a mic. I just find it strange to hear my voice at all really. A mic reminds me of trying to listen to myself talk on the radio...

Speaking of...

LOVED your mango podcast.
Sexy voice there mr Doom
xx

11/01/2005 4:16 am  
Blogger Brie said...

i always think i sound so strange when i listen to a recording of me...
tyson's cute, i got one for my blog... not that i need any more useless crap in the side bar but anyways...
heheheh, you're stuck with me now! :P

11/02/2005 8:06 am  
Blogger RuKsaK said...

I've had to do a fair amount of this kind of thing. As a teacher I speak to groups of around 20 daily, but have spoken to a crowd of 300+ Arabs in Saudi Arabia too - and lots in between, which I could easily tell many stories about. I don't write about them on my blog because it would be unwise to mention my work.

Anyway, I always tell myself something similar to what you do - it's a kind of equation:
I have to give this speech anyway, so there are only 2 choices from this: 1. do it effectively and confidently / 2. don't do it effectively and confidently.

It may sound glib, but it's what makes me do alright on the big ones. It's just a choice - nothing more.

11/02/2005 12:40 pm  
Blogger Brie said...

*exaggerated sigh* That's easy enough to say when you're not a self-concious teenager...

qmkfc

11/04/2005 8:30 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home